mardi 26 août 2014

Bizarre, repetitive sounds on various cordless phones for years. Questions.

I am a new member here. I was directed to this forum by another more experienced member after asking where I should post this. Mods, if this is not the appropriate forum for this topic, please feel free to move it. I have no desire or intention to infract the rules here with my very first post. :)



This will sound quite odd. Or, perhaps it won't. I'm hoping someone here with extensive knowledge of signals transmission and reception science can explain this as a perfectly mundane phenomenon.



Many years ago - we aren't sure exactly when, but we estimate between six and ten years - my friend and I began hearing some very bizarre things on the phone. Initially we thought it was common background static or interference, cross-talk, etc. as we were on cordless phones. My friend's was a cell phone, and mine was a quasi-land line in the form of Comcast digital voice through a cable modem. Both phones were cordless, however.



What we initially heard were static, and a persistent beeping which my friend described as reminiscent of Sputnik. Listening to recordings of Sputnik, I'd say that's a fair comparison. However mixed in with this intermittently were voices reciting lines from Dracula. Specifically:



*A woman with an accent saying, "When the clock strikes midnight, all the evil things in the world will arrive" (Or arise.)



*A man saying, "Enter freely, and leave some of the happiness you bring," "I have no time for gayety or mirth," and, "The stories are not understandable to those in the outside world."



*Sounds of fog horns and sea gulls.



*Sounds of a baby crying.



These sounds would overlap, repeat, and cycle again and again for up to several hours at a time. It always happened in the wee hours of the morning, between midnight and 5 AM generally. 4:30 AM PST seemed to be the most common time during which this would start to be heard.



This alone wouldn't have been too odd to us. However even when my friend or I moved to a new home, changed phone service, or other variables, these events would continue to occur. They also became increasingly bizarre and surreal in nature.



We would hear Morse code repeating the letter H and the number 8 (H being the 8th letter of alphabet, if that's of any relevancy... we found it an interesting coincidence at least.) We would hear strange, high pitch squealing noises which sounded like feedback, or, occasionally, like a kazoo as we approximated it, mixed in with these voices and other sounds. When my friend would call me, he would hear an abnormal ring, followed by a voice saying, "Kill you, make you suffer." (Yeah, I know. You can't make this stuff up.)



On a lark, we tried communicating with whoever was doing this in case we were getting some kind of cross-talk that someone else could also hear or we were being pranked or something. We asked the noise to stop. It did. We asked it to start again. It did. We reproduced this many times. That's when we assumed it must surely be someone somehow messing with us and non-random. Though how this is possible we have absolutely NO idea.



That too didn't worry us until one particular night, the feedback, voices, and other noises were more extreme than usual. Suddenly the phone went dead during this, and my friend couldn't be reached again until the following day. Turned out both my friend's phones - both, even the one that was hung up - shorted out completely and were just dead after that. Replacing the battery did absolutely nothing to revive them. They were just dead.



Now, at this time he wasn't on his cell phone. He was on a cable modelmdigital voice plan with Comcast, just like me. Through a shielded CATV cable. I don't know anything about radio, but someone else I asked said that must have been one hell of a transmission to short out both his phones - even the one hung up. Any idea how this could be possible?



This has gone on for YEARS now, until very recently, regardless of where we lived or what phones we were on. After a particular instance recently - which I would prefer not to detail because it's just too bizarre, and frankly I already expect half of you to think we're just crazy or pulling your leg lol (I assure you, we're not) - all of this activity ceased. After years of it happening almost every night, usually around 4:30 AM PST. It hasn't recurred since.



I am in the SF Bay Area, and this friend lives in the Modesto CA area, if that helps any. We contacted Comcast and other carriers we had at various points, and none of them could find anything wrong with our in-home lines, cable margins, etc. (access boxes were not checked however, as they are not easily accessible where we are.)



I know this is more of a general telecommunications inquiry than a specifically radio oriented one (or is it? I don't know anything about this) but if anyone here could put me onto a lead or potential hypothesis as to explaining all of this weird activity, I know myself and my friend would be quite grateful. It's not an all-consuming concern or anything, but it is indeed something which has absolutely baffled us for years.



We expect there's some sort of simple explanation, and based on some of the events, that whatever that is probably involves someone harassing us or having a bit of fun. Your thoughts? Ideas? Theories?



Thanks very much for indulging such an odd series of questions and descriptions.



P.S.



Oh, and I don't know if this will help or not, but the only part of any of what we heard over the phone that I've ever been able to find online or elsewhere, is the line by the accented woman saying, "All the evil things in the world will arrive." And the only place I found it is in this electronic song by a European group called Wizzy Noise. Please note that the MUSIC was NOT present in what we heard on the phone. Only the phrase. (Which repeated again and again, overlapping, echoing, etc. along with the other phrases and sounds described already above.) However the exact dialogue we heard can be heard at 3:57 Wizzy Noise - Pandoras box - YouTube



Also, I have searched in vain in my spare time for years for the exact dialogue in every Dracula movie I could get my hands on from the library or elsewhere. I know some of the dialogue is definitely from Dracula as I found the lines in the original book. But I have never found a film which contains all of the lines we heard over the phone, word for word. Just differing variations of them. They never occur in a film together. So if this was someone messing with us, as we suspect, hey went to some effort (unless there is some sort of repository of those lines somewhere online, like on a sound board or some such.)



Anyway... all thoughts and hypotheses or suggestions for further investigation are welcome! Thanks again. Please be gentle, I'm a total neophyte when it comes to this subject.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire