dimanche 28 décembre 2014

Scan speed on 536HP vs signal strength

I just noticed something very unusual on both of my 536HPs. Tonight, just for the fun of it, I decided to run only the stock antenna on both and see what I could pick up. I compared this with a Diamond RH77CA antenna on both (using 90 degree connectors). I set my FLs for stronger local stations here, including LAPD (P25 conventional), LA Sheriff, CHP, and other local LE (Whittier, Downey, Long Beach).

Although the RH77CA was better, I noticed that as both scanners passed through the LAPD conventional P25 system using either the stock or RH77CA antennas, they seemed to hang up specifically on the P25 system for about 4-5 secs on each department, then would scan the other analog systems fine. They repeatedly would hang up when scanning through LAPD P25. My hold times are set to 0 sec on all systems.

Now, when I put myoutside antennas on, with obviously stronger signal levels, there is no hang-up on the LAPD P25, scanning speed seems to be fine, Just whizzes through the LAPD system fine with no hang up, the same as other analog systems. I replicated this behavior on both of my 536HPs.

I bring this issue up because I know some have mentioned slower scanning speeds with the x36HPs. From my inadvertent findings tonight, this seems like it may be related to signal input level. Why is this happening? There is no P25 waiting time, as there is for a Motorola combined digital/analog system, so this should not be an issue.

It seems that with weaker signal input, the scanner is hanging onto to the P25 conventional channels searching for something. Is this typical behavior for a scanner, or have I inadvertently found something unusual. Any advice is appreciated.



Steve AA6IO





Scan speed on 536HP vs signal strength

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire