vendredi 28 mars 2014

Emergency Traffic Stories

First off, I do not want a debate on what-if scenarios and legality of off-band transmissions during emergencies. This is strictly a recap of actual events and what happened afterwards (if it's known).



Basically I am curious if anyone out there has any stories of people whether HAMS or Civilians using radio frequencies, whether authorized to use them or not, to summon help in an emergency. No public safety personnel or "work place" stories because there would be thousands of those and people are generally expected to call for help on their radio at work if they have one.



The only instance that I am personally aware of comes from a radio transcript of FDNY Manhattan on 9/11, quoted below. This particular story is a civilian on a public safety frequency.




Quote:








•DISPATCHER: Manhattan to Field Comm.

•CIVILIAN: I'm a civilian. I'm trapped inside of one of your fire trucks underneath the collapse that just happened.

•UNKNOWN UNIT: Standby. There's people close to you.

•CIVILIAN: I can't breathe much longer. Save me! I'm in the cab of your truck.

•DISPATCHER: Person transmitting a mayday. Where are you, K.

•CIVILIAN: I just told you. It's north of the world trade center; there's the north pedestrian bridge. I think it collapsed when the partial building just collapsed. I was on the street. I don't have much air Please, help me!

•RESCUE 2: Rescue 2 chauffeur, I copy that. I'm going to look for her.

•DISPATCHER: 10-4.

•DISPATCHER: Manhattan to Field Comm urgent K.

•CIVILIAN: I can barely breath. Please send somebody.

•DISPATCHER: Okay, the person calling for help. Listen to me. You need to calm down and relax. Standby, we do have somebody on the way. You're to maintain air. Get off the air. We do have somebody on the way over to you. You're to remain calm, 10-4?

•CIVILIAN: 10-4. I'm in the cab of the truck.

•DISPATCHER: 10-4. We do have people on the way over there. Manhattan to Field Comm urgent.



As for the outcome of what happened to this person, there's hardly any chance of finding out as this was transmitted before the second tower collapsed, likely on top of them. But they could have also been freed as the next tower didn't collapse for nearly half an hour after this call was made.



The full transcript can be found here: Transcripts (There is no further from this unidentified person).



To reiterate, this topic is not for debating the legality of the issue, just recapping the events as they happened. If you're thinking of trying to find some excuse to transmit on other bands just remember that an emergency is not a preplanned event. Besides, if you're planning what to do when you get trapped in a crushed fire truck under a collapsed 100-story building, you really need help there, Dwight Schrute.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire