samedi 31 mai 2014

BCD436HP Another BCD436HP Review

Well I've had my bcd436hp for about a month now so I thought I'd post my thoughts

on this scanner. I sold a 396t and a homepatrol to fund the purchase and I couldn't

be happier. Reception is great, on Motorola 800 MHz trunked systems as well as

VHF high and low (local FD and highway patrol). Audio is good, no complaints.

I really like new features like different color alert LED, I use blue for local sheriff,

red for fire dept, green for CHP, magenta for ambulance, etc.

Programming with Sentinel software is great, started off from day one with favorite

lists for my area. Set avoids, delay times, alert led color, etc. and send it to scanner.

I like the ability to edit text tags, some are too long to view in display or I just want to

identify it my way. No problems with software or sd card.

I conducted my own non-professional antenna tests. I compared the original antenna

to the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna, the Radio Shack 20-006 center loaded telescoping antenna along with a couple of my ham radio HT antennas, the Diamond

RH77CA ( dual band with receive up 900 MHz ) and the Diamond SRH320A (tri band with

receive up to 900 MHz ).

The original antenna was ok, not too bad actually but the RS 800 MHz antenna was noticeably better on 800 MHz trunked reception as well as VHF high. The Diamond SRH

320A was pretty close to the RS 800 MHz on 800MHz and noticeably better on VHF low but unfortunately mine has an SMA connector and when tigtened down was about 1/16"

away from the case of the radio. Seemes too risky for breakage if scanner falls over.

The Diamond RH77CA worked well on 800 MHz, maybe not quite as well as RS 800MHz

but worked the best so far on VHF high and low. This is important to me since local Cal Fire is on VHF high and CHP ( highway patrol ) is on VHF low. So all around the RH77CA

performed the best. It's 16.5" tall though so it does make the scanner a bit unwieldly, have to be careful and a little tall if you want to carry the scanner on your belt.

The RS 20-006 was hands down the best all around, this has been the case on other scanners I've had. Really makes my 436hp shine, especially on VHF high and low and right there if not a little better for 800 MHz trunked. But as anyone who's had one of these knows it's 26,5" tall and is not really usable on a belt and I always have to be aware when using it. But for $15 it's a good antenna to have. I've had 2 of them for years and have yet to have an accident. Your mileage may vary, these are my own results in my area with no test equipment other than my ears.

Is there anything I miss or wish for with the BCD436HP? Sure, multi colored display and

maybe a couple of other minor things but all things considered I really like this scanner and am glad I bought it. Homepatrol was nice for me but it's only a table top scanner. I like hand held scanners, use it on a table if I like but grab it and go if I want to. In my opinion Uniden has got a good product here, just hope the analyze feature comes soon and adds to an already good product.

Thanks,

N6RDC




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire