mercredi 28 janvier 2015

HF Noise - Help with noise and what Im working with

Its been a long time out of HF and been tinkering lately dusting off old gear and such. My question is with HF noise levels and what is acceptable or not. Here is where I'm coming from. I setup my HF gear and did not have a proper antenna so I used one that was out of HF band slightly. I was enjoying some signals with a noise floor of about -110db and was doing okay with it, I needed a proper HF antenna so just got and installed a PAR-EWL? ( may got name wrong ) 45 foot wire and got it a few feet outside in a horiz config.



Now my noise floor is at -80/-85db so my noise has increased which got me a bit concerned because alot of the stuff I was getting was on the weak side to begin with. Don't get me wrong it seems to be working ok I still get the strong broadcast stations and what not but unsure if I'm missing.



What I don't get is if I'm doing okay or not at that noise level? of course less is better and I do need to get my antenna higher and further away but have limited options right now. I just have no reference to go by, what are other folks noise levels at, is what I got workable for the DX work or am I wasting time and need to correct this.



I appreciate any help from you HF pros out there.





HF Noise - Help with noise and what Im working with

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire