samedi 28 juin 2014

What's it like, 25 years later?

I got a Novice license around 1974 and a General license around 1976 (can't remember the exact year). I was reasonably active on CW around 1978-1980, and worked something like 40 states with a 5-watt Heathkit HW-8 and a random length antenna (which was about all I could afford). I never really had very good SSB equipment (a cranky Galaxy V), and the bands seemed so crowded that I really wasn't all that successful with SSB. Eventually, I got busy with my career and family, and the old ham equipment has been sitting in boxes in the garage for 25 years or so.



I never did let my license lapse, though, it is still active.



I think about getting out the old equipment from time to time, but I am wondering....



Thinking about the HF bands....how is ham radio different now than 25 years ago? I know the transceiver technology has progressed a little since the days of my HW-8 and Galaxy V, but what I really mean is....how busy are the HF bands compared to 25 years ago? Fewer hams, less busy? Does anyone do CW any more?



Thanks in advance for your replies.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire