mercredi 2 avril 2014

2 choices for NVIS antenna -- Need advice

New HAM here... My transceiver and materials for an HF (RX) antenna should be arriving tomorrow. FT-897 with max TX of 100w.



Thinking ahead to when I upgrade my license to general and begin my journey into HF -- At this point, my interests are leaning toward NVIS, and I'm trying to get a plan together for a usable NVIS antenna.



From what I can gather so far, the obvious choice of antennas would be a homebrew version of the AS-2259, and there are some really good plans for this, so I will be building one, but It will take up most of my back yard, and will need to be removed regularly for lawn maintenance, so I am considering this one to be secondary, backup antenna.



My yard is ideal for a windom antenna, so I've decided to build one for my primary HF antenna. Good-neighbor policy, stealth, and not damaging my transceiver are my primary objectives, antenna performance would come in at 4th place after these.



Here's my dilemma:



I can put up a 132 foot long windom on one side of my yard, but the trees I would be using are my neighbor's trees, and I would be using the branches that extend into my yard. According to the manufacturer and several other antenna plan articles I've read, this will allow me to use the 80m and 40m bands without a tuner and several other HF bands with a tuner.



W8AMZ OCF / WINDOM



I would also need (feel compelled to) ask my neighbor's permission. From what I've read, this is something a HAM should try to avoid at all cost (for the purpose of not being blamed for interference issues).



If I use the other side of my yard, I could put up a 66 foot long windom, that will work for 40m. This would be using my trees, would be very stealthy, and I wouldn't need to say a word to anyone.



So, I guess my question boils down to: Is it likely that a commercial antenna for 80m or 40m erected by a novice, following the instructions (but with no real-life experience regarding what does and what doesn't cause RF interference to TV's, telephones, etc) will result in interference issues with my neighbor's stuff?



My neighbor's house is about 30 feet from where the antenna would be.



A second question is: If I go with the 40m antenna, will it be usable at all on 80m (RX and TX)?



I understand that this antenna design is not optimal, and there are better options performance-wise, but based on other HAM's accounts, it is definitely an option worth exploring. If it does work, it will solve all my problems easily.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire