samedi 26 avril 2014

1/4 wave ground plane for NOAA broadcast

I finally finished this thing :) Now all I need to do is run 80ish feet of coax so I can mount it on the roof.



The vertical element is #10 wire with the insulation still covering it. Every other antenna I see that someone made is always a ground wire(copper wire with no insulation). I wanted a little more protection from the weather so I left the insulation on. I also wanted a little wider frequency coverage (in case I get more crystals for my scanner), so thats why I used #10 instead of #12 wire. The ground radials are 1/4" aluminum solid rods. Yes I know its a little big, but I could only get 1/4" ( I need 3/16"). I'll probably change it in the future if I find smaller aluminum rod.



The radials are attached to a 2"x2" aluminum square with the corners bent up at a 45 degree angle. I got the idea from a random Google search Help is On the Way The only downside to this design is in the construction, it takes a little skill to not break the aluminum plate when forming it and the aluminum rods dont like to be tapped for threads (they strip out easily).







































Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire