mardi 16 décembre 2014

BCDx36HP HP 1 and 2 vs. x36HP rant

< rant on >



Well, I'm kind of disappointed with myself. Sold my 536HP to fund my HP-2 purchase and now I'm wishing I would have kept the 536. I spend a lot of time working at my kitchen table where my laptop is, so I keep a scanner there as well, which is pretty much on from the time I get up until the time I go to bed, whether or not I'm at the table.



Anyway, one of the favorites list I always had on was the one with 2mtr/70cm/1.25mtr repeater and simplex frequencies. Don't know why, but I love listening to local ham chatter. When I had the 536 at the table, I never had any problems with that favorites list. The radio was sensitive to pull in even the crappiest of signals. After selling the 536, I put an HP-1 at the table and have had nothing but trouble with it. It's not pulling in the poor signals like the 536 did and I'm getting a lot of random 'static bursts' in the 2mtr range that I never got on the 536. The bursts were causing me to "temp avoid" a lot of the freqs because it was happening so often, thus missing a lot of chatter when it happened.



Fast forward to today. Decided to swap out the HP-1 at the table with my HP-2, thinking a newer radio wouldn't have the static burst issue. WRONG!! If anything, it's worse with the HP-2. As with the HP-1, I only seem to be having this problem with the 144-148 frequencies. Other lists that have conventional freqs don't seem to have this problem.



I'm using the exact same antenna with the HP-1 and 2 that I used with the 536. Also, I have hooked up my 436HP to this same antenna, which has the same lists as the 536 did and the HP's use, and I don't get the static bursts on it either. I've have adjusted the squelch settings anywhere from a couple of bars to "full" bars and it makes no difference.



All in all, it's pretty frustrating.



Now I'm thinking about dumping the HP-2 and replacing it with another 536. I see I can get one on Amazon for $514 and change, but I don't know how long that price will last, so if I decided to do, I may have to do it soon.



Okay, rant is over. Thanks for letting me vent.



:)





BCDx36HP HP 1 and 2 vs. x36HP rant

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire