jeudi 7 août 2014

OK to try powering up a 38 year old CB?

At the local Goodwill store today I found an old 23 channel Royce CB radio, model 1-658. I bought it for $4.00 and took it home. Externally it is exceptionally clean, only minor scratches and seems to have been very well cared for. That's pretty good considering the manufacture date on the back is June 1976! However, I'm starting to think that the electrolytic capacitors and other electric components inside are so old that it might catch fire the first time I turn it on, or the first time I try to key the mic (I'm an amateur radio operator so I know the importance of proper antenna, low SWR, etc.). Do you think that, considering its age, it might not be a good idea to even attempt powering it up? I'd hate to risk damaging my power supply on a 38 year old, four dollar CB radio.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire