jeudi 7 août 2014

The Uniden Home Patrol - Fun, but there is a learning curve!

I have several scanners, but as most of you know, many agencies have gone digital and are trunked. Over the past few years, the radio traffic has declined. As a result, I decided to buy a Home Patrol. For simplex and analog traffic, I continue to use my 2 meter in the car, a 2006 at home and a BC92XLT for general scanning, but finally bought the HP because of a recent antenna upgrade.



I live rurally, so the amount of radio traffic isn't nearly like living in the city, Regardless, you gotta keep up!



What I have discovered is that this radio has more of a learning curve than anything that I've used previously. Programming is a snap. Eliminating agencies that I do not wish to listen to is as much work as old fashioned single freq programming however! :) I also found out that I have to properly use the "avoid" feature. I avoided some freqs that I wanted to listen to because they were further down the submenu.



Jiminy Jillickers!



No complaints though. Tis the learning curve!! I noticed that just because a department is listed as "Ministry of Transport Ontario" does not mean that's who's talking! I've been listening to the OPP (police) all afternoon on a 'department of transport' freq. I guess having a trunking system means you can use any part of the available spectrum to get the job done.



What started this whole upgrade thing? I just put up a OCF wire, and will be putting a Diamond discone and an Arrow 2/440 J pole when the coax arrives. They are replacing some older equipment. One thing is for sure, I'm glad this is getting one before winter. I live in central Ontario.



Thanks for listening.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire